The Voyage Home
The Gaualofa is sailing home to Samoa after her adventures in New Zealand. Follow her on her voyage with twice daily location updates: http://www.shntn.net/map_gaualofa/
The Gaualofa is a participant in the Waka Odyssey in Wellington, New Zealand
Follow the journey https://www.festival.co.nz/2018/events/a-waka-odyssey/
Bringing Moana to Samoa
- Fundraised and undertook dry-dock maintenance
- Outreach Voyage around Samoa: Sailing aboard Gaualofa, the coalition of partners is bringing the story of Moana to Samoa’s rural coastal communities, along with environmental awareness on sustainable ocean stewardship and exchanges on their natural resource management actions. Disney’s Moana portrays a powerful message of the Pacific, demonstrating cultural value and respect for the traditions of the Pacific people
Outreach in Apia
- Presented a series of workshops in conjunction with the Museum of Samoa and several talks at the National University of Samoa’s Centre for Samoan Studies
- Assisted the National Orchestra of Samoa with their performance “Concert on the Canoe”
- Hosted day sails for community organisations and school groups
- Participated in the Samoan premiere of Disney’s “Moana” and hosted the Directors, Producer and actor who voiced the character of Moana – Auli’i Cravalho – on a day sail
A Samoan Captain
- Fealo Fani Brunn becomes our first certified captain upon being awarded her Yacht Master Captaincy.
- Tonga training and outreach voyage, to promote the mission of the Va’a and to support the Tongan Voyaging Society
- Participated in the TeManava Festival in the Cook Islands, covering 1600 nautical miles and later launched the TeMana o TeMoana Voyage Documentary back in Apia
- Participated in the Teuila Festival, taking visitors on day sails
- Fundraised (including through a quiz night) enough money to undertake maintenance
- Captain Bruun presented at the GLOW festival, representing the crew, SVS and women
- Sailed from Apia to Sydney, covering 4700 nautical miles and certifying 10 crew members.
Renewal and Growth
- Fundraised (through merchandise sales) enough money to undertake maintenance and cover annual running costs
- Established an MOU with Samoa’s Ministry of Education, Sports & Culture.
- Participated in the Pua’a Festival at home in Samoa
- Sailed to the Solomon Islands to participate in the 11th Festival of Pacific Arts, covering over 3300 nautical miles
TeMana o TeMoana
Seven Va’atele/Vaka Moana sailed from Aotearoa (New Zealand) to Hawai’i, then on to the West Coast of the United States.
As part of this “Spirit of the Pacific” Voyage fleet we sailed over 30,000 nautical miles and 35 Gaualofa crew members were certified.
Tavarua Training Voyage
Our first training voyage, on which 10 crew members were trained and certified.
The Society was established, after many years of planning, upon the donation of Gaualofa by the Okeanos Foundation.